Friday, January 28, 2011

Saved Sinners

"But I’ve come to realize that getting where God wants me to go isn’t nearly as important as becoming who God wants me to be in the process. And God seems to be far less concerned with where I’m going than with who I’m becoming." Mark Batterson

The past week I have been praying that God will work through me as I prepare for this trip to Africa this spring . . . both in the lives of our students and in the lives of the people that we are going to meet there. I have also been praying that this be a time where God will continue to open my eyes to who he is . . . and use this change in culture to bring me closer to God.

One of the difficulties in preparing for a trip like this, is the mindset that you can sometimes take. The concept of going to impact people can both motivate your preparation but also hinder your spirit. The fact is, that while we are intentionally going to serve others for God, we are going to be hugely impacted ourselves.

Here is what I pray we do not do. I pray that we do not elevate ourselves. I was really floored and convicted by how someone characterized us . . . we are just saved sinners . . . at our core . . . but with God and only God, we become his masterpiece.

My prayer for our trip is that people will see us for who we are . . . people just like them . . . while at the same time showing them that God has called us to be more . . . and that is where we get our joy, peace, and hope.

Whether we like it or not, the journey to Africa has already begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment